Bill Barnett

Independent Candidate for the South West region in the European Parliamentary Elections 2009

Monday 20 April 2009

only 4 days left to make a stand for democracy

In my last post, I set out the standards of behaviour that I will abide by should I be elected to the European Parliament in June 2009. I do not believe that these standards are unreasonable - in fact they are the standards of conduct that I believe the voting public shouls EXPECT from those who represent them.

As we now have only 4 days of text polling left, its time for me to set out what I would like to achieve, and what I will work for if elected. If you agree with what I want to do, then please text WILBAR01 to 86837, and spread the word to your friends and family. Under the proportional representation system, parties put forward a list of candidates. Those candidates are then elected based on the proportion of votes received by that party - so for example, if Jury Team's independents poll 50% of the vote, then the top 3 on the list (of 6) will be elected.

What did I set out to achieve when I decided to stand as an independent? Firstly, I want to give people a real choice to use their vote in a positive way. The turnout in the 2004 Euro elections was a poor 38.2%.....is the system so broken that almost two thirds of the electorate choose not to bother? The party list system builds on this apathy..toe the party line, and you go on the party list - the message is clear, represent the interests of your party, above those of the electorate. I believe that this is wrong!! who apart from Jury Team gives YOU the voter the opportunity to not only select candidates for the list, but also their position on the list? Actually, who apart from Jury Team gives YOU the voter the opportunity to put yourself forward?

I believe that the EU is not necessarily fundamentally broken, but it is in need of subtantial reform - how can a body which is seemingy unable to balance its books (or demonstrate this through rigourous independent audit) not have damaged credibility? Unfortunately, reform cannot and will not happen unless MEPs are elected who are committed to improving the systems underpinning the EU and the lot of the electorate.

Many of the problems which will face us in the 21st century are so large, that effective action will need to be taken on an international basis - issues such as energy security, environmental issues, food security, migration, infrastructure, border security - these problems will only be solved through cooperation and concerted effort - "If we don't stand together, we will be defeated one by one"

No comments:

Post a Comment